- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Kitzbühel is indisputably one of Austria's most fashionable winter resorts, although the town is now staking a claim on its summer season as well. "Kitz" offers warm-season visitors a hefty program of hiking, cycling, and golf, along with outdoor concerts and plays, and a professional tennis tournament in July. What originally put this ski town on the map is the famous Ski Safari—a carefully planned, clever combination of lifts, cable railways, and runs that lets you ski for more than 145 km (91 miles) without having to climb a single foot. Kitzbühel is in perpetual motion and is always packed December through February, notably at the end of January for the famed Hahnenkamm downhill ski race. At any time during the season there's plenty to do, from sleigh rides to fancy-dress balls. In summer visitors are offered free guest cards, which provide free or substantially reduced fees for various activities, such as tennis, riding, and golf. The best swimming is in the nearby Schwarzsee.
Kitzbühel at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in Innsbruck, Tirol, and Vorarlberg
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's