- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Schloss Esterházy Review
The former palace of the ruling princes with its yellow facade reigns over the town. Built in the baroque style between 1663 and 1672 on the foundations of a medieval castle and later modified, it is still owned by the Esterházy family, who lease it to the provincial government for use mostly as offices. The Esterházy family rooms are worth viewing, and the lavishly decorated Haydn Room, an impressive concert hall where the composer conducted his own works from 1761 until 1790, is still used for presentations of Haydn's works, with musicians often dressed in period garb. The hall is one of several rooms on a guided tour (in English on request if there are at least 10 people) that lasts about 30 minutes. The cellar has a large wine museum with 700 objects inlcuding a massive wine barrel and historical grape press. A tour of the princess's apartment was added in 2012 and includes objects relating to three royal women. The park behind the Schloss is pleasant for a stroll or a picnic. In late August the park is the site of the Burgenland wine week, during which there's a two-hour tour on wine and culture at the palace. It ends with a tasting. Inquire at the information desk.
- Address: Esterházy Platz, Eisenstadt, A-7000 | Map It
- Phone: 02682/719-3000
- Cost: €9 for guided tour of family rooms; €7 for wine museum; princess's apartment €9
- Hours: Jan.--Mar., Fri.--Sun. 9--5; Apr.--mid-Nov., daily 9--6; mid-Nov.--Dec., daily 9--5; guided tours hourly Apr.--Nov. and every two hours Dec.--Mar.
- Website: www.schloss-esterhazy.at
- Location: Eisenstadt
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austria Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Regal Central Europe IExplore
- Regal Central Europe — $9,895 IExplore
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
I have 5 days in Europe, leaving Wed, June 19. Read more
· News & Features
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's ... Read more
Need we say more?... Read more
On the tip of Mexico's Baja Peninsula, sun-drenched Los Cabos draws in everyone from honeymooners and... Read more