- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Church of St. Nicholas
Church of St. Nicholas Review
The real treasure, however, is the Romanesque Church of St. Nicholas, which is on the other side of the Isel at the beginning of the Virgen Valley. It contains some simple carvings, such as the 15th-century statue of St. Nicholas, and its late-13th-century frescoes of biblical scenes elevate it to a high work of art. Remarkably well-preserved 14th-century frescoes decorate the outside walls. Every year on the eve of St. Nicholas's Day (December 6), fantastically dressed characters with furs and bells storm through town in an old tradition called Klaubaufgehen, a way to frighten off bad spirits. If you find the church closed enquire for the key at the nearby farmhouse.
- Location: Matrei in Osttirol
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austria Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Regal Central Europe IExplore
- Regal Central Europe — $9,895 IExplore
Three Meals, Three Countries Part I: Storks in Austria!
Obligation-free Saturdays were a rarity for us in the US, and we often "wasted" them by running errands, tending the yard, and so forth. As the Trailing Read more
We recently completed a Gate 1 Danube River Cruise with a 3 night pre-cruise extension in Prague and a 2 night post-cruise extension in Budapest.
In Prague, we stayed at the 5* Hotel Imperial, a lovely Read more
Hello everyone! Read more
· News & Features
Niagara Falls is a bucket-list-worthy sight to behold, whether you're ogling it from the Canada side, ... Read more
A sculpture of a Greek goddess welcomes you in from the streets of London's Soho neighborhood.... Read more
You've heard of Lake Como (thanks to George's exploits), but halfway between Milan and Venice lies Italy's... Read more