- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Lienz and its surrounding area have miles of marked trails, and detailed maps (available from the tourist office) show mountain lodges where you can spend the night and other facilities. Trails in Tirol are designated as easy, moderate, or difficult. Just before Schloss Bruck there is a chairlift that rises nearly to the crest of the 6,685-foot Hochstein mountain, from which you get a splendid panoramic view over Lienz and to the east. You'll have to hike the last kilometer (½ mi) to reach the very top.
If you want to learn to climb, contact Leo Baumgartner at the Alpinschule Lienz. Gaimberg, Lienz. 04852/68770.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Austria Experience IExplore
- $499 & up -- Transatlantic Cruises to Europe, Save $100 Norwegian Cruise Line
- Regal Central Europe IExplore
- Regal Central Europe — $9,895 IExplore