Eastern Alps Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Eastern Alps
Drive the Grossglockner Highway. As long as weather conditionspermit this crossing, this panoramic road is Austria's most famous mountain pass and an absolute must.
Take pictures at Heiligenblut. Of all the picture book images in the country, this jewel of a photo-op town has to be the winner, with its slender church steeple and gorgeous mountainbackdrop.
Visit Lienz. Besides castles and churches, Lienz is one of the best places to stay for truely stunning views of the dolomites.
Explore the Dachstein Region. The wonderful world of the Dachstein massif, stretching for miles, is one of the bestregions for hiking, caving, and climbing.
"Take the cure" at Bad Gastein. Perhaps the most famousofallalpine mountain spas.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe