- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Sports & the Outdoors
As a good spa town, Bad Gastein will keep guests entertained with all sorts of events from snowboarding competitions to llama trekking (popular with families). You will not be bored.
Although not as well known to outsiders as other resorts, Gasteiner Tal (Gastein Valley) is popular with Austrians. The slopes of the four areas—Dorfgastein, Bad Hofgastein, Bad Gastein, and Sportgastein—are not well connected, so you'll often have to use the free shuttle bus and do some hoofing in your ski boots. Runs are mostly intermediate, with limited advanced and beginner slopes. The other ski run near Bad Gastein is the Graukogel peak, which also offers a restaurant and great Alpine hikes.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe