- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
You cross over to Altenmarkt by leaving St. Johann im Pongau on Route 163 heading east across Wagrain and Reitdorf. Altenmarkt is small, but the Church of St. Mary contains the Schöne Madonna, an outstanding statue of the Virgin Mary that dates from before 1384.
Nearby streams make the town a prime fishing site in summer, and skiing takes the spotlight during the winter months. The ski mountain here is part of the extensive Salzburger Sportwelt ski region, so a lift ticket gives you access to 350 km (217 mi) of mostly interconnected runs.
Elsewhere in Eastern Alps
- Bad Gastein
- Grossglockner Highway
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe