- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Some relics of the ancient medieval wall that once surrounded Feldkirchen remain, although they are difficult to see; otherwise the town has a pleasant provincial Baroque look, with a shady central square with a fountain dribbling in the middle and a few cafés and ice-cream parlors occupying the sidewalks. The relief of the Virgin Mary over the old pharmacy is the only eye-catcher here. At the north end of town is the parish church, in early Romanesque style with a Gothic choir and Baroque trim.
Feldkirchen is one of Carinthia's oldest communities, having been mentioned in documents dating from 888. Though small, Feldkirchen is an important crossroads: one road (Route 93) goes to Gurk, another (Route 94) heads to St. Veit an der Glan, and yet another (Route 95) traverses the remote Nock Mountains up to the Turracher Höhe, a high pass between Carinthia and Styria with a dangerous 23% gradient, a mountain summer resort, and a fine skiing center on a pretty lake.
Elsewhere in Carinthia
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe