- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Carinthia
The Wörther See. In the summer, this area turns into Austria's version of the Hamptons. Pleasure-seekers check into mansions-turned-hotels, boat on the crystalline lake, and party until the wee hours.
The other Carinthian lakes. Faaker See, Ossiachersee, Millstätter See, Weissensee, and Pressegger See give Salzburg's lake region a run for its money. The area is dotted with little towns that host arts events all summer.
Bad Bleiberg. For true pampering head to this area of thermal pools west of Villach. Another set of natural hot tubs can be found at Warmbad Villach.
Burg Hochosterwitz. Walt Disney drew the inspiration for Snow White from this magnificent castle on top of a mountain. Not even the Turks were able to pass through its 14 gates.
Gurk Cathedral. Supported by 100 marble pillars, the most splendid of all the region's Romanesque churches features the original chair of St. Hemma. When women sit in it, they supposedly have a nice surprise nine months later.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe