- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
As in all of Austria, post-office or railway (Bundesbahn) buses go virtually everywhere, but you'll have to allow plenty of time and coordinate schedules carefully so as not to get stranded in some remote location.
The main rail line south from Vienna parallels Route 83, entering Carinthia north of Friesach and continuing on to Klagenfurt and Villach. From Salzburg, a line runs south, tunneling under the Tauern mountains and then tracing the Möll and Drau river valleys to Villach. The main international north–south route connecting Vienna and northeastern Italy runs through Graz and is traversed by EuroCity trains from Munich and Salzburg.
Services on the main routes are fast and frequent. Trains depart from Vienna Meidling Station every two hours to Graz for a 2½-hour ride. The new train station Hauptbahnhof (Central Train Station) is slated to open by the end of 2012.
ÖBB—National Train Information (05/1717. www.oebb.at.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's