- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Klagenfurt became the provincial capital in 1518, so most of the delightful sites here date from the 16th century or later. However, a group of attention-getting Carinthian architects have also breathed new life into old buildings. The town is an excellent base for excursions to the rest of Carinthia. In the city center you can't miss the Lindwurm, Klagenfurt's emblematic dragon with a curled tail, which adorns the fountain on Neuer Platz (New Square). Legend has it that the town was founded on this spot, where the beast was destroyed by resident peasants back in days of yore (but the notion of Klagenfurt's dragon became more intriguing when the fossilized cranium of a prehistoric rhinoceros was found nearby).
Klagenfurt at a Glance
- Alter Platz
- Domkirche (Cathedral)
- Landhaus (district government headquarters)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's