Carinthia and Graz Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
- German Phrases
Top Reasons to Go to Carinthia and Graz
The Wörther See. In the summer, this area turns into Austria's version of the Hamptons. Pleasure-seekers check into mansions-turned-hotels, boat on the crystalline lake, and party until the wee hours.
Burg Hochosterwitz. Walt Disney drew the inspiration for Snow White from this magnificent castle on top of a mountain. Not even the Turks were able to pass through its 14 gates.
Gurk Cathedral. Supported by 100 marble pillars, the most splendid of all the region's Romanesque churches features the original chair of St. Hemma. When women sit in it, they supposedly have a nice surprise nine months later.
Graz. The UNESCO city of design, a fresh and young creative city, offers an all-year-round cultural program with events for all tastes.
Museum in a Palace. Actually there are four museums—plus the gorgeous Prunkräume (State Rooms) in Graz's Schloss Eggenberg, itself a museum piece that sheds light on Austria's past.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe