Keep your hotel or vacation villa door locked at all times, and stick to well-lighted streets at night. Keep your rental car locked wherever you park, and lock possessions in the trunk. Don't leave valuables lying on the beach while you snorkel. Don't wander the streets of the main towns alone at night, whether you are in Charlotte Amalie, Cruz Bay, Christiansted, or Frederiksted.
Although crime is not as prevalent in St. John as it is on St. Thomas and St. Croix, it does exist. There are occasional burglaries at villas, even during daylight hours. Lock doors even when you're lounging by the pool. It's not a good idea to walk around Cruz Bay late at night. If you don't have a car, plan on taking a taxi. Since it can be hard to find a taxi in the wee hours of the morning, arrange in advance for a driver to pick you up.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe