Windsurfing in St. Thomas
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Expect some spills, anticipate the thrills, and try your luck clipping through the seas. Most beachfront resorts rent Windsurfers and offer one-hour lessons for about $120.
Island Sol. If you want to learn to windsurf, try Paul Stoeken's Island Sol. The two-time Olympic athlete charges $85 per hour for a private lesson. There's a free clinic every Tuesday at 9:30 am. There are also private kite-boarding lessons for $385 for 3 hours, and kayak and stand-up paddleboard (SUP) rentals for $25 per hour. Ritz-Carlton St. Thomas, Rte. 317, on Great Bay Beach, Estate Nazareth, St. Thomas, 00802. 340/776–9463. islandsol.vi.
West Indies Windsurfing. At West Indies, one of the island's best-known independent windsurfing companies, a private kiteboarding lesson costs $125 per hour for the land portion and $250 for a two-hour private lesson on the water. The company also rents stand-up paddleboards (SUP) for $40 per hour, or $200 to $225 per day based on the quality of the board. There's usually calm water—perfect for SUPs—right off Vessup Beach or around the peninsula in Great Bay. Vessup Beach, No. 9, next to Latitude 18 restaurant, Estate Nazareth, St. Thomas, 00802. 340/775–6530.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe