Sea Kayaking in St. Thomas
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fish dart, birds sing, and iguanas lounge on the limbs of dense mangrove trees deep within a marine sanctuary on St. Thomas's southeast shore. Learn about the natural history here in a guided kayak-snorkel tour to Patricia Cay or via an inflatable boat tour to Cas Cay for snorkeling and hiking. Both are 2½ hours long. The cost is $75 per person.
Virgin Islands Ecotours. Virgin Islands Ecotours rents its two-person sit-atop ocean kayaks and inflatable boats for self-guided exploring. They also offer guided three-hour tours around St. John's Caneel Bay; St. Thomas' Mangrove Lagoon; and historic Hassel Island, which includes a visit to some of the historic forts and military structures on the island, a short hike to a breathtaking vista, and swim off a deserted beach. Costs range from $79 to $99 per person, depending on location. In addition, many resorts on St. Thomas's East End also rent kayaks. Mangrove Lagoon, Rte. 32, two miles east of the intersection of Rte. 32 and 30, Estate Nadir, St. Thomas, 00802. 340/779–2155 or 877/845–2925. www.viecotours.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe