- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
You will almost certainly need a car if you are staying in a villa or in Coral Bay, but you might be able to get by with taxis if you are staying elsewhere. A four-wheel-drive SUV is your best bet. You'll be able to safely drive on the hilly roads when it rains, and you'll probably need one to get up that steep (and in some cases, unpaved) road to your villa.
All the car-rental companies in St. John are locally owned, and most are just a short walk from the ferry dock in Cruz Bay. Those located a bit farther away will pick you up.
Best (Near library, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/693–8177.)
Cool Breeze (Near the Creek, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/776–6588. www.coolbreezecarrental.com.)
Courtesy (Near St. Ursula's Church, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/776–6650. www.courtesycarrental.com.)
Delbert Hill Taxi & Jeep Rental Service (King St., Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/776–6637. www.delberthillcarrental.com.)
Denzil Clyne (North Shore Rd., Across from the Creek, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/776–6715.)
O'Connor Car Rental (Rte. 104, Near laundromat, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/776–6343. www.oconnorcarrental.com.)
St. John Car Rental (Bay St., near Wharfside Village, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/776–6103. www.stjohncarrental.com.)
Spencer's Jeep (Boulon Center Rd., Near Creek, Cruz Bay, St. John. 340/693–8784 or 888/776–6628. www.spencerjeeprentals.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's