St. John Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Local St. John Celebrations
Although the U.S. Virgin Islands mark all of the same federal holidays as the mainland, they have a few of their own. Transfer Day, on March 31, commemorates Denmark's sale of the territory to the United States in 1917. Emancipation Day, on July 3, marks the date slavery was abolished in the Danish West Indies in 1848. Liberty Day, on November 1, honors David Hamilton Jackson, who secured freedom of the press and assembly from King Christian X of Denmark.
While you're on St. John, don't hesitate to attend local events like the annual Memorial Day and Veterans Day celebrations sponsored by the American Legion. These small parades give a poignant glimpse into island life. The St. Patrick's Day Parade is another blink-and-you'll-miss-it event. It's fun to join the islanders who come out decked in green. The annual Friends of Virgin Islands National Park meeting in January is another place to mix and mingle with the locals.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $427 & up -- All-Inclusive Virgin Island Yacht Club Resort Bitter End Yacht Club
- $6797 -- British Virgin Islands 8-Nt. Villa, Save $971 On the Rocks Villa
- $9000 -- Virgin Islands Family Yacht Charter, Save $2000 Amazing Charters
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 — $90 Ole Works Inn
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 — $1,490 Cooper Island Beach Club