Diving and Snorkeling in St. John
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
Although just about every beach has nice snorkeling—Trunk Bay, Cinnamon Bay, and Waterlemon Cay at Leinster Bay get the most praise—you need a boat to head out to the more remote snorkeling locations and the best scuba spots. Sign on with any of the island's water-sports operators to get to spots farther from St. John. If you use the one at your hotel, just stroll down to the dock to hop aboard. Their boats will take you to hot spots between St. John and St. Thomas, including the tunnels at Thatch Cay, the ledges at Congo Cay, and the wreck of the General Rogers. Dive off St. John at Stephens Cay, a short boat ride out of Cruz Bay, where fish swim around the reefs as you float downward. At Devers Bay, on St. John's south shore, fish dart about in colorful schools. Carval Rock, shaped like an old-time ship, has gorgeous rock formations, coral gardens, and lots of fish. It can be too rough here in winter, though. Count on paying $85 for a one-tank dive and $100 for a two-tank dive. Rates include equipment and a tour. If you've never dived before, try an introductory course, called a resort course. Or if certification is in your vacation plans, the island's dive shops can help you get your card.
Cruz Bay Watersports. The owners of Cruz Bay, Marcus and Patty Johnston, offer regular reef, wreck, and night dives and USVI and BVI snorkel tours. The company holds both PADI Five Star and NAUI-Dream-Resort status. Lumberyard Shopping Complex, Boulon Center Rd., Cruz Bay, St. John, 00831. 340/776-6234. www.divestjohn.com.
Low Key Watersports. Low Key Watersports offers two-tank dives and specialty courses. It's certified as a PADI Five Star training facility. 1 Bay St., Cruz Bay, St. John, 00831. 340/693-8999 or 800/835-7718. www.divelowkey.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $427 & up -- All-Inclusive Virgin Island Yacht Club Resort Bitter End Yacht Club
- $6797 -- British Virgin Islands 8-Nt. Villa, Save $971 On the Rocks Villa
- $9000 -- Virgin Islands Family Yacht Charter, Save $2000 Amazing Charters
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 — $90 Ole Works Inn
- $1490 -- Virgin Islands: Cooper Island Dive Trip, Save $295 — $1,490 Cooper Island Beach Club