- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Thanks to abundant rainfall, this 41-square-mile (106-square-km) island is the lushest in the Turks and Caicos chain. With an estimated population of only 1,500, the expansive island allows you to get away from it all. Bird lovers can see a large flock of flamingos here, anglers can find shallow creeks full of bonefish, and history buffs can visit the ruins of a Loyalist plantation. Although there's little traffic, almost all the roads are paved, so bicycling is an excellent way to sightsee. Even though it's a quiet place, you can find some small eateries around the settlements and in Whitby, giving you a chance to try local and seafood specialties, sometimes served with homegrown okra or corn. The beaches are more natural here, and they are sometimes covered with seaweed and pine needles, as there are no major resorts to rake them daily. Nevertheless, some of these secluded strands are breathtaking, even if not as manicured as those of the upscale resorts on Provo.
North Caicos is definitely rustic, especially in comparison with shiny new Provo. Accommodations are clean but fairly basic. Locals are consistently friendly, and life always seems to move slowly.
Photography Tip. Don't you hate finding that your pictures lack the bright colors you saw at the beach and on the water? Brightly lighted water reflects on the lens and causes the pictures to look washed out. Solution? Use a circular polarizer—it's like sunglasses for your camera, reducing glare and saturating colors so your pictures look professional.
North Caicos at a Glance
Elsewhere in Turks and Caicos Islands
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $139-$179 -- Curaçao 4-Star Beachfront Resort, 55% Off Hilton Curaçao
- $199 -- Barbados 4-Star Oceanfront Resort, Save 40% Hilton Barbados
- $599 & up -- Jamaica Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free, $490 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore