- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
The mile-long (1½-km-long) reef protecting Canouan offers excellent snorkeling, as well as spectacular sites for both novice and experienced divers. Gibraltar, a giant stone almost 30 feet down, is a popular site; plenty of colorful fish and corals are visible. Windward Bay, on Canouan's southeastern coast, is a large lagoon protected by a barrier reef, making it perfect for snorkeling. The crystalline waters surrounding the nearby Tobago Cays are filled with fish and sea turtles and offer marvelous diving and snorkeling.
One-tank dives cost $110 per dive; two-tank dives, $175 per dive; night dives, $130 per dive. A full range of PADI courses are offered; novices can take a Discover Scuba Diving course for $175. Three-hour snorkeling trips to the Tobago Cays cost $110 per person, including equipment.
Canouan Scuba Center. Specializing in taking small groups of divers, whether beginners or experts, to the Tobago Cays and other nearby sites, Canouan Scuba Center is a full-service PADI facility that also offers resort and certification courses. Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club, Charlestown, Canouan, VC0450. 784/528-8030. www.canouandivecenter.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe