- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Diving and Snorkeling
The mile-long (1½-km-long) reef and waters surrounding Canouan offer excellent snorkeling as well as spectacular sites for both novice and experienced divers. Gibraltar, a giant stone almost 30 feet down, is a popular site; plenty of colorful fish and corals are visible. Windward Bay, on Canouan's southeast coast, is a large lagoon protected by a barrier reef, making it perfect for snorkeling. The crystalline waters surrounding the nearby Tobago Cays offer marvelous diving and snorkeling.
One-tank dives cost $110 per dive; two-tank dives, $175 per dive; night dives, $130 per dive. A full range of PADI courses are offered; novices can take a Discover Scuba Diving course for $175. Three-hour snorkeling trips to the Tobago Cays cost $110 per person, including equipment.
Canouan Scuba Center. Specializing in taking small groups of divers, whether beginners or experts, to the Tobago Cays and other nearby sites, Canouan Scuba Center is a full-service PADI facility that also offers resort and certification courses. Tamarind Beach Hotel & Yacht Club, Charlestown, Canouan, VC0450. 784/528-8030. www.canouandivecenter.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $98 & up -- Punta Cana All-Incl. Eco Beach Resort, 15% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $48 & up -- Puerto Plata Lifestyle Beach Resort, 30% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 & up -- Jamaica Trip w/Air; Kids Stay Free, $490 Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1099 -- Balcony on New Ship to Curacao MSC Cruises
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore