- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It's easy to get around the island by car. Most roads are paved and in generally good condition. However, they can be crowded, especially when the cruise ships are in port; you might experience traffic jams, particularly around Marigot and Philipsburg. Be alert for potholes and speed bumps, as well as the island tradition of stopping in the middle of the road to chat with a friend or yield to someone entering traffic. Few roads are identified by name or number, but most have signs indicating the destination. Driving is on the right. There are gas stations in Simpson Bay near the airport.
Car Rentals: You can book a car at Juliana International Airport, where all major rental companies have booths, but it is often much cheaper to reserve a car in advance from home. A shuttle to the rental-car lot is provided. Rates are among the best in the Caribbean, as little as $20-$35 per day. You can rent a car on the French side, but this rarely makes sense for Americans because of the unfavorable exchange rates.
Avis (721/545–2847 or. www.avis.com.)
Dollar/Thrifty Car Rental (721/545–2393. www.dollar.com.)
Empress Rent-a-Car (721/545–2062. www.empressrentacar.com.)
Golfe Car Rental (0590/51–94–81 on the French side. www.golfecarrental.com.)
Hertz (721/545–4541. www.hertz.com.)
Unity (721/520–5767. www.unitycarrental.com.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's