- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's In Focus Barbados & St. Lucia
The Pitons Review
Rising precipitously from the cobalt-blue Caribbean Sea just south of Soufrière Bay, these two unusual mountains are a UNESCO World Heritage Site and also the iconic symbol of St. Lucia. Covered with thick tropical vegetation, the massive outcroppings were formed by lava from a volcanic eruption 30 to 40 million years ago. They are not identical twins, since 2,619-foot Petit Piton is taller than 2,461-foot Gros Piton and Gros Piton is broader. It's possible to climb the Pitons, but it's a strenuous trek. Gros Piton is the easier climb and will take about two hours to reach the top. Either climb requires the permission of the Forest & Lands Department and the use of a knowledgeable guide.
- Address: Soufrière
- Phone: 758/450–2231; 758/450–2078 for St. Lucia Forest & Lands Department
- Cost: Guide services $45
- Hours: Daily by appointment only
- Location: Soufrière
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is my second time visiting St Lucia and like the first time my visit here will be a brief one since it is my transit stop to St Vincent then Grenada.
However, in less than five hours after leaving Read more
My husband and I just returned from five nights in St Lucia. Read more
Assuming we, like Sally in Seattle who just posted, can manage the trip to the Caribbean from the West Coast, which of these islands offers the nicest "beach" experience?
The two resorts I'm considering Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach ... Read more
While an infinity-edge pool that glints under the sun is fabulous, nothing beats a private pool you need... Read more
Most come into fitness getaways with strong preconceived notions, but each retreat is unique and migh... Read more