- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's In Focus Barbados & St. Lucia
Morne Coubaril Review
On the site of an 18th-century estate, a 250-acre land grant by Louis XIV of France in 1713, the original plantation house has been rebuilt and a farm workers' village has been re-created. It does a good job of showing what life was like for both the owners (a single family owned the land until 1960) and those who did all the hard labor over the centuries producing cotton, coffee, sugarcane, and cocoa. Cocoa, coconuts, and manioc are still grown on the estate using traditional agricultural methods. Guides show how coconuts are opened and roasted for use as oil and animal feed and how cocoa is fermented, dried, crushed by dancing on the beans, and finally formed into chocolate sticks. Manioc roots (also called cassava) are grated, squeezed of excess water, dried, and turned into flour used for baking. The grounds are lovely for walking or hiking, and the views of mountains and Soufrière Harbour are spellbinding. More adventurous visitors can learn how to climb a palm tree or enjoy Soufrière Hotwire Rides, an hour-long zip-line excursion with eight stations, taking you by Petit Piton and through the adjacent rain forest. The large, open-air restaurant serves a creole buffet luncheon by reservation only.
- Address: 2 miles (3 km) south of town Soufrière
- Phone: 758/459–7340; 758/712–5808 for reservations
- Cost: $7, with lunch $210; zip line $69; tree-climbing $5
- Hours: Daily 8–5
- Website: www.mornecoubarilestate.com; www.stluciaziplining.com
- Location: Soufrière
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
This is my second time visiting St Lucia and like the first time my visit here will be a brief one since it is my transit stop to St Vincent then Grenada.
However, in less than five hours after leaving Read more
My husband and I just returned from five nights in St Lucia. Read more
Assuming we, like Sally in Seattle who just posted, can manage the trip to the Caribbean from the West Coast, which of these islands offers the nicest "beach" experience?
The two resorts I'm considering Read more
· News & Features
Here are 11 reasons to sit at your computer on Cyber Monday and click away in pursuit of your next beach ... Read more
While an infinity-edge pool that glints under the sun is fabulous, nothing beats a private pool you need... Read more
Most come into fitness getaways with strong preconceived notions, but each retreat is unique and migh... Read more