Horseback Riding in St. Lucia
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Creole horses, a breed native to South America and popular on the island, are fairly small, fast, sturdy, and even-tempered animals suitable for beginners. Established stables can accommodate all skill levels. They offer countryside trail rides, beach rides with picnic lunches, plantation tours, carriage rides, and lengthy treks. Prices run about $60 for one hour, $70 for two hours, and $85 for a three-hour beach ride and barbecue. Transportation is usually provided between the stables and nearby hotels. Local people sometimes appear on beaches with their steeds and offer 30-minute rides for $10 to $15; ride at your own risk.
Atlantic Shores Riding Stables. The two-hour trail rides from Atlantic Shores can take place on the beach and through the countryside. Beginners are welcome. Savannes Bay, Vieux Fort. 758/285-1090.
International Pony Club. The beach-picnic ride from the International Pony Club includes time for a swim—with or without your horse. Both English- and Western-style riding are available. east of Rodney Bay, Beauséjour, Gros Islet. 758/452-8139 or 758/450-8665. www.internationalponyclub.net.
Trim's National Riding Stable. At the island's oldest riding stable there are four sessions per day, plus beach tours, trail rides, and carriage tours to Pigeon Island. Cas en Bas, Gros Islet. 758/450-8273. horserideslu.50megs.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $120-$132 -- St. Lucia 4-Star Resort w/Breakfast, 50% Off Bay Gardens Beach Resort & Spa