Banks and Exchange Services
Legal tender is the Eastern Caribbean (EC) dollar. The rate of exchange at this writing is EC$2.70 to US$1. U.S. dollars are accepted practically everywhere, but change is usually EC currency. Most large hotels, restaurants, and shops accept major credit cards, but small inns and shops often do not. All banks, including the Royal Bank of St. Kitts and Scotia Bank, have ATMs. There are ATMs on Nevis at the airport, Bank of Nova Scotia, First Caribbean International Bank, and St. Kitts-Nevis National Bank.
110 volts, 60 cycles.
Ambulance and Emergencies (911.)
Fire emergencies on St. Kitts (869/465-2515 or 333.)
Fire emergencies on Nevis (869/469-3444.)
Police (869/465-2241 on St. Kitts; 869/469-5391 on Nevis; 911 on St. Kitts.)
All travelers must have a valid passport and a return or ongoing ticket. Canadian citizens (not connecting through U.S. territory) need either a valid passport or a birth certificate (with a raised seal) accompanied by a government-issue photo ID.
Phone cards, which you can buy in denominations of EC$5, $10, and $20, are handy for making local phone calls, calling other islands, and accessing U.S. direct lines. To call St. Kitts and Nevis from the United States, dial area code 869, then access code 465, 466, 468, or 469 and the local four-digit number.
The departure tax is US$22, payable in cash only. There's no sales tax on either St. Kitts or Nevis. Hotels collect a 9% government tax.
Hotels add a 10%-12% service charge to your bill. Restaurants occasionally do the same; ask if it isn't printed on the menu; a 15% tip is appropriate when it isn't included. Taxi drivers typically receive a 10% tip, porters and bellhops $1 per bag; housekeeping staff, $2 to $3 per night.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $469 -- Virgin Islands: 3 Nights in Long Bay w/Extras Long Bay Beach Resort & Villas
- $150 -- Virgin Islands: Anegada Oceanview Room, Save 38% — $150 Anegada Reef Hotel