Sea Excursions in St. Kitts
In addition to the usual snorkeling, sunset, and party cruises (ranging in price from $40 to $95), most companies offer whale-watching excursions during the winter migrating season, January through April. And on land, turtle watches during nesting season are becoming popular.
Blue Water Safaris. Blue Water Safaris offers half-day snorkeling trips or beach barbecues on deserted cays, as well as sunset and moonlight cruises on its 65-foot catamarans Irie Lime and Swaliga, and the smaller Falcon. It also runs kayaking tours.Boats depart from Port Zante. Princess St., Basseterre, St. Kitts. 869/466–4933. www.bluewatersafaris.com.
Leeward Island Charters. This reliable charter offers day and overnight charters on two catamarans—the 67-foot Eagle and 78-foot Spirit of St. Kitts. Day sails are from 9:30 to 4:30 and include a barbecue, an open bar, and use of snorkeling equipment. The Nevis trip stops at Pinney's Beach for a barbecue and at Shooting Bay, a tiny cove in the bullying shadow of a sheer cliff, where petrels and frigate birds inspect your snorkeling skills. The crews are mellow, affable, and knowledgeable about island life. 586 Fort St., Basseterre, St. Kitts. 869/465–7474. www.leewardislandscharters.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's