Boating and Fishing in St. Kitts
Boating and Fishing
Most operators are on the Caribbean side of Frigate Bay, known for its gentle currents. Turtle Bay offers stronger winds and stunning views of Nevis. Though not noted for big-game fishing, several steep offshore drop-offs do lure wahoo, barracuda, shark, tuna, yellowtail snapper, and mackerel. Rates are occasionally negotiable; figure approximately $350 for a four-hour excursion with refreshments.
Leeward Island Charters. The knowledgeable Todd Leypoldt of Leeward Island Charters takes you out on his charter boats, Spirit of St. Kitts, Caona and Eagle. He's also available for snorkeling charters, beach picnics, and sunset-moonlight cruises. Basseterre, St. Kitts. 869/465–7474. www.leewardislandcharters.com.
Mr. X Watersports. Found within Mr. X Shiggidy Shack this shop rents small craft, including motorboats (waterskiing and jet skiing are available). Paddleboats are $15 per hour, sailboats (with one free lesson) $25 per hour. Deep-sea fishing charters, snorkeling tours, water taxis, sunset cruises, and private charters with captain and crew are available. Mr. X and his cohorts are usually hanging out at the adjacent open-air Monkey Bar. Frigate Bay, St. Kitts. 869/465–0673. www.mrxshiggidyshack.com.
Reggae Beach Bar & Grill. This establishment rents kayaks and snorkeling equipment from the restaurant, offers sailing lessons, and can also arrange fishing trips, as well as water taxis to Nevis. Cockleshell Beach, St. Kitts. 869/762–5050. www.reggaebeachbar.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe