Golden Rock Plantation Inn
At a Glance
- arty crowd
- glorious grounds
- no actual beach though there are two beach clubs
- lack of air-conditioning can be a problem on still days
Check Rates from our Partners
Golden Rock Plantation Inn Review
This estate has a long history, and acclaimed artists Brice Marden and wife Helen Harrington have imparted a chic, modernist sensibility to the property while respecting its storied past. The resulting aesthetic clashes intriguingly with the historic elements while playing off the lush landscaping's richly saturated colors. An old cistern was converted into a spring-fed swimming pool and the sugar mill into a honeymoon haven with a gorgeous winding bamboo staircase. Green vervet monkeys dash about the premises. Many surfaces—from decks to shutters—are splashed in reds and greens; the pool addition resembles a contemporary-art installation, the restaurant a dazzling tiered sculpture garden with waterfalls. The vividly hued gingerbread cottages (each holding two rooms) have dazzling ocean views from their patios; decor contrasts pristine white floors, curtains, and bedspreads with handsome hardwood or bamboo furnishings, pineapple friezes and colorful Berber throw rugs.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now back to a foot of snow and I miss the Caribbean sunshine.
I haven't been to St. Kitts & Nevis for over 23 years and was a little nervous about revisiting after all that time but we had a fabulous Read more
When researching for next Caribbean island to escape the winter two words catch my eye: "... lush mountains ...". And since the British Airways had good price and flight times I've booked the tickets.
· News & Features
Techie travelers have embraced the fun, tech-driven, on-the-road adventure that is geocaching. ... Read more
This week, we covered top destinations for great family getaways—from Disney World to dinosaur spotting.... Read more
Go on location in Görlitz, Germany, to the transporting set of director Wes Anderson's film... Read more