Hermitage Plantation Inn
At a Glance
- wonderful sense of history
- delightful owners and clientele
- delicious food
- long drive to beach
- hillside setting difficult for physically challenged to negotiate
Check Rates from our Partners
Hermitage Plantation Inn Review
A snug 1670 greathouse—reputedly the Caribbean's oldest surviving wooden building—forms the heart of this breeze-swept hillside hideaway. Lively and laid-back, it attracts a smart set while remaining down-to-earth and family-friendly—rare for such a refined retreat. The owners' passion for all things Caribbean, from heirloom antiques to vernacular architecture, is apparent. Stone-and-gingerbread cottages are either painstakingly restored originals or meticulous re-creations, with hardwood floors, four-poster canopy beds, and hammock-slung patios or balconies. Families and honeymooners adore the two-story Blue Cottage, but the Loft, Pink House, and Goosepen Cottage are equally sybaritic; the three-bedroom Manor House has its own pool and wraparound porches. In genuine plantation fashion, the inn has its own stable and livestock, as well as English Romantic–style gardens (pluck your own fruit, or ask the kitchen to prepare a homeopathic bush tea). A renovated motor yacht offers sailing, fishing, and St. Kitts transfers.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Now back to a foot of snow and I miss the Caribbean sunshine.
I haven't been to St. Kitts & Nevis for over 23 years and was a little nervous about revisiting after all that time but we had a fabulous Read more
When researching for next Caribbean island to escape the winter two words catch my eye: "... lush mountains ...". And since the British Airways had good price and flight times I've booked the tickets.
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more