- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Banks and Exchange Services
U.S. dollars are accepted everywhere, but Saba's official currency is the Netherlands Antilles florin (NAf; also called the guilder). The exchange rate is fixed at NAf 1.79 to US$1. Both First Caribbean International Bank and the Royal Bank of Trinidad and Tobago are in Windwardside and provide foreign-exchange services. The Windward Island Bank in the Bottom offers full banking services, weekdays 8:30-3:30.
110 volts/60 cycles; visitors from North America should have no trouble using their travel appliances.
Ambulance (599/416-2231 or 599/416-2322.)
Police (The Bottom. 599/416-3737.)
The post office is in Windwardside, near Scout's Place, and offers express-mail service, MoneyGram, and E Zone services. When writing to Saba, don't worry about addresses without post-office-box numbers or street locations. However, make sure to include "Dutch Caribbean" in the address.
Visitors must carry a valid passport and have an ongoing or return ticket.
Phones take prepaid phone cards, which can be bought at stores throughout the island, or local coins. To call Saba from the United States, dial 011 + 599 + 416, followed by the four-digit number.
Taxes and Service Charges
You must pay a $5 departure tax when leaving Saba by plane for St. Maarten or $20 if you're continuing on an international flight, which may already be included in your international ticket. There is a $5 departure tax by boat, which is sometimes covered in the cost of the ticket. Several of the larger hotels will tack on a 10%-15% service charge; others include it in rates. Hotels add a 5% government tax plus a 3% turnover tax to the cost of a room.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $823 & up -- Turks & Caicos: Adult-Only Club Med, Save 40% Club Med Turkoise
- $1124 & up -- Club Med Punta Cana, Save 40% Club Med Punta Cana
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $349 & up -- Weekend Bahamas Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore