- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Vieques is 21 miles (33½ km) long and 4 miles (6½ km) wide and has two small communities. Isabel Segunda, on the northern shore, is the main town, where the ferry docks. On the southern shore is the village of Esperanza, a string of low-cost bars, restaurants, and hotels along a waterfront promenade that is growing in size. Nearby is the world-famous bioluminescent bay Puerto Mosquito. The bulk of the island is a national park, the Vieques National Wildlife Refuge. Within the park you'll find dozens of beaches with names such as Caracas, Pata Prieta, and Chiva, as well as many more that have no official names, and can be found off unpaved side roads.
At 7 miles (11 km) long and 4 miles (6½ km) wide, Culebra is much smaller and less developed than Vieques. There's only one community, the tiny town of Dewey.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's