The Autortidad de Transporte Marítimo (Maritime Transportation Authority) runs passenger ferries from Fajardo to Culebra and Vieques. Service is from the ferry terminal in Fajardo, about a 90-minute drive from San Juan. Advance reservations are not accepted. There are a limited number of seats on the ferries, so get to the terminal in plenty of time. This means arriving an hour or more ahead of the departure time in Fajardo, somewhat less in Vieques and Culebra. In Fajardo the ticket counter is in the small building across the street from the actual terminal. In Vieques and Culebra the ticket counters are at the entrance to the terminals. There are food kiosks at Fajardo and Vieques that are open even for the early-morning departures. Culebra doesn't have any eateries nearby.
The Fajardo–Vieques passenger ferry departs from Vieques weekdays at 9:30 am, 1 pm, 4:30 pm, and 8 pm, returning at 6:30 am, 11 am, 3 pm, and 6 pm. On weekends ferries depart from Vieques at 9 am, 3 pm, and 6 pm, returning at 6:30 am, 1 pm, and 4:30 pm. Tickets for the 90-minute journey are $2 each way. The Fajardo–Culebra ferry leaves Culebra daily at 9 am, 3 pm, and 7 pm, returning at 6:30 am, 1 pm, and 5 pm. The 90-minute trip is $2.25.
Autortidad de Transporte Marítimo (800/981–2005 or 787/723–2260. www.prpa.gobierno.pr.)
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's