Puerto Rico operates on Atlantic Standard Time, which is 1 hour later than the U.S. Eastern Standard Time in winter. The island does not keep U.S. daylight saving time. This means that when it's noon on a winter day in New York, it's 1 pm in Puerto Rico. In summer Puerto Rico and the East Coast of the United States are on the same time, and 3 hours ahead of the West Coast. Sydney is 14 hours ahead of Puerto Rico, Auckland is 16 hours ahead, and London is 4 hours ahead.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $90 -- Virgin Islands: Former Sugar Refinery Inn, Reg. $100 Ole Works Inn
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore