When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
During the high season, mid-December through mid-April, hotels tend to be packed, though rarely full, and rates are a bit higher than in the off-season. Fall and spring are less expensive. The weather's still fantastic, and the tourist crush is less intense. However, a winter visit may allow you to participate in many of San Juan's annual events. The January San Sebastián Street Festival, held in Old San Juan, consists of several nights of live music, food festivals, and cabezudos (parades). The Heineken JazzFest, each June, is the Caribbean's showcase for local and international talent. And the mid-November Festival of Puerto Rican Music takes place in both San Juan venues and elsewhere on the island. The festival celebrates Puerto Rico's traditional plena and bomba folk music with competitions and concerts.
San Juan's weather is moderate and tropical year-round, with an average temperature of about 82°F (26°C). And although it's true that hurricane season accounts for much of the summer and fall, San Juan's still an attractive destination during those months—hotels charge their lowest rates, restaurant reservations are easier to come by, and the streets are tourist free.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- $129 -- Puerto Rico: San Juan Beachfront Resort, 40% Off El San Juan Resort & Casino
- $9000 -- Virgin Islands Family Yacht Charter, Save $2000 Amazing Charters
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore