- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Fodor's Puerto Rico
Cementerio Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis
Cementerio Santa María Magdalena de Pazzis Review
One of Old San Juan's best-kept secrets, this remarkable cemetery provides a peaceful respite from the bustle of the city. Sandwiched between El Morro and the La Perla neighborhood, it offers a panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean and an enviable resting place for the many notable figures fortunate enough to be buried here. Dating back to the early 1800s, the cemetery was originally administered by Carmelite nuns. Today you can stop by the ornate tombs (many of which are topped with graceful marble sculptures) to pay your respects to an illustrious group of Puerto Rican political figures, intellectuals, artists, and revolutionaries, including José Celso Barbosa, José Ferrer, Pedro Albizu Campos, Rafael Hernández, Ricardo Alegría, and others.
While a robust police presence has made this area bordering La Perla safer, it's still a good idea to avoid coming after hours or at night.
- Address: West End of Calle Norzagaray, Old San Juan, San Juan, 00901
- Cost: Free
- Hours: Mon.–Fri. 7–3, Sat.–Sun. 7–noon
- Location: San Juan
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
We recently spent a long weekend in Puerto Rico, which was a great respite from the cold and snow of New York. Read more
This has been a particularly horrible winter in Boston, about as cold as any I can remember. Read more
Its been suggested that staying in Old San Juan is a must for nightlife -- but my friends and I (mid-twenties) still want to stay on a beach resort~ where would be a good place to stay in order to compromise? Read more
· News & Features
After the recent debut of his Grand Cayman-inspired novel The Forever Girl, author Alexander McCall ... Read more
When's the best time to go?... Read more
The world's northernmost capital is a charming destination in all seasons.... Read more