San Juan Feature
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A Good San Juan Tour
East of Old San Juan on Avenida Ponce de León you'll find El Capitolio, Puerto Rico's magnificent capitol building. Take Avenida Ashford east, branching off onto Avenida Magdalena and then Calle Loíza. At the corner of Avenida Ponce de León is the Museo de Arte Contemporáneo de Puerto Rico, with a fine collection of contemporary Latin-American art. If you're hungry, stop for lunch at the nearby Plaza del Mercado. Afterward, head east on Avenida Ponce de León, then north on Avenida José de Diego to reach the Museo de Arte de Puerto Rico, a former hospital that has been transformed into the island's most ambitious art museum.
From the museum, it's a straight ride south on Avenida Ponce de León (Route 25) to the Río Piedras district, where you'll find the Universidad de Puerto Rico and its Museo de Historia, Antropología y Arte. Less than 1 mile (1½ km) to the west, at the junction of Routes 1 and 847, is the 75-acre Jardín Botánico.Updated: 10-2013
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's