Hacienda Luz de Luna
Hacienda Luz de Luna Review
This is one restaurant where you can't show up unannounced, nor would you ever recognize it from a sign outside, simply because there isn't one. That's the intrigue of this "underground restaurant" where guests are invited to dine at the home of renowned-chef Ventura Vivoni Rivera. In 2008, he had a dream to cook for strangers in the historic hacienda built in 1887. Three weekends per month, Ventura prepares a 10-course meal for a maximum of 35 guests, served during two daily seatings (at 1 and 6 pm). Hosted by the chef's father, Edric, the evening begins with a tour of property, starting at the orchard where lemons grow the size of coconuts. Sprawling 374 acres is the family's farm and small factory where soap, jam, candy, and coffee are produced. Each unique menu (emailed to guests in advance) is never repeated, but might include coffee-crusted pork with mango puree or grilled fish with crunchy rice. This dining experience generally takes up to five hours and costs $75; Be sure to reserve well in advance.
- Address: Carretera 135, Km. 73.3, Barrio Yahuecas, Adjuntas Adjuntas
- Phone: 787/829–9096
- Location: Adjuntas to Mayagüez
- Reservations essential.
- No credit cards.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
I've updated my website with this latest trip report: http://islandtime.homestead.com/Spanish-Virgin-Islands.html Read more
Husband and I took the El Yunque Rainforest tour recently. Read more
My husband and I usually travel to Isla Mujeres, MX every October. Read more
· News & Features
Wine connoisseurs take note: Norwegian Cruise Line has partnered with the Michael Mondavi Family Estate ... Read more
Got cabin fever?... Read more
Finding an affordable, stylish hotel in Manhattan is a challenge.... Read more