Ponce is the region's dynamic center, with a surrounding metropolitan area that includes a slew of vibrant attractions, sophisticated restaurants, and boutique hotels rivaled only by San Juan. To the southeast the shoreline is rugged and the villages more rural and isolated. Small seaside inns and some of the island's best seafood can be found here. Slightly inland from the coast are the colonial town of Coamo and its thermal baths. In the southwest, dense dry forest, such as the Bosque Estatal de Guánica, and mangroves hide undiscovered bays, inlets, and quaint fishing villages. Here you will also find the beautiful historic city of San Germán, one of Puerto Rico's oldest settlements.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's