Getting Here and Around
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Air Flamenco, Isla Nena Air Service, and Vieques Air Link offer several daily flights between Fajardo and San Juan, as well as between Fajardo and Vieques and Culebra. Trips to any of these destinations are between 10 and 15 minutes; the cost ranges from $60 to $180 round-trip.
Air Flamenco (787/724-1818. www.airflamenco.net.)
Vieques Air Link (787/741-8331 or 888/901-9247. www.viequesairlink.com.)
Públicos (a cross between a privately owned taxi and a bus) travel between San Juan and Fajardo, stopping en route at the ferry terminal. The full journey can take up to four hours, depending on where you board, frequency of stops, traffic, and where you are dropped off. However, the fare is a huge bargain at about $6 (pay the driver as you board). To get to Fajardo, simply flag down a público anywhere along Route 3.
Within cities and towns, local buses pick up and discharge at marked stops and cost 35¢-50¢. Enter and pay (exact fare required) at the front and exit at the front or the back.
Unless you are planning to hop directly onto a ferry to Vieques or Culebra, you should consider renting a car in eastern Puerto Rico. Even the destination resorts are fairly isolated, and you may appreciate the mobility if you want to get out and have a meal away from the resort, or explore El Yunque or some of the great beaches. Rates start at about $40 a day, but it may be possible to rent directly from your lodging, so ask about packages.
From San Juan the east coast is accessible via Route 3, or Route 187 if you want to visit Loíza. At Fajardo the road intersects with Route 53, which continues down the coast. Route 3 also continues along the coast, but provides a more scenic, if slower, trip.
You can flag cabs down on the street, but it's faster and safer to have your hotel call one for you. Cabs are usually metered, make sure it's clear whether a flat rate or a meter will determine the fare. Instead of renting a car, consider taking a taxi to Fajardo. The cost from the San Juan area should be about $80 for up to five people.
Humacao Taxi (787/852-6880.)
Cape Air. 866/CAPE-AIR (227-7747). www.capeair.net.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $173 -- Barbados All-Inclusive Resort w/Air Credit, 55% Off Couples Barbados
- $199 -- AAA 5-Diamond Cancun Beachfront Resort, 40% Off JW Marriott Cancun Resort & Spa
- $399 & up -- Intercontinental San Juan Escape, 3 Nts. w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore