- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A temporary driver's license is required if you wish to drive on the island; you can get one for $20 at the police headquarters in Brades, which is open 24 hours on weekdays. You can rent jeeps and cars for roughly $35–$50 per day. Even if you rent a car, you're best off hiring a local guide, who will know where the best views are—and which parts of the island are off-limits because of volcanic activity. Respect the signs and closed gates that indicate the Exclusion Zone boundaries; though the Daytime Entry Zone is usually open 24/7, you should avoid it at night.
Jefferson Car Rental (Palm Loop. 664/491–2126.)
Montserrat Enterprises (Old Towne. 664/491–2431.)
Neville Bradshaw Agencies (Olveston. 664/491–5270.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe