- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dubuc Castle Review
At the eastern tip of the Presqu'île du Caravelle are the ruins of this castle, once the home of the Dubuc de Rivery family, who owned the peninsula in the 18th century. According to legend, young Aimée Dubuc de Rivery was captured by Barbary pirates, sold to the Ottoman Empire, became a favorite of the sultan, and gave birth to a son.
You can park your car right after the turnoff for Résidence Oceane and walk the dirt road to the ruins. The castle still has a skeleton of stone walls, but it is mostly rubble. Hikers go for the dramatic ocean views, raw nature, and birdlife, but for others, it might not be worth the price of admission.
- Address: Tartane, La Trinité, 97220
- Cost: €4
- Location: North of Fort-de-France
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We had the fortunate opportunity to spend nine days in Bermuda in early November. Read more
Just back from a wonderfully relaxing November getaway to Aruba. Read more
Could anyone recommend a place to study French in the francophone Caribbean? Read more
· News & Features
Whether you call it rum, rhum, or ron, rum is one of the most diverse spirits in the world. ... Read more
Spending some time in Martinique and looking to enjoy a couple rounds at the poker table?... Read more