- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dubuc Castle Review
At the eastern tip of the Presqu'île du Caravelle are the ruins of this castle, once the home of the Dubuc de Rivery family, who owned the peninsula in the 18th century. According to legend, young Aimée Dubuc de Rivery was captured by Barbary pirates, sold to the Ottoman Empire, became a favorite of the sultan, and gave birth to a son.
You can park your car right after the turnoff for Résidence Oceane and walk the dirt road to the ruins. The castle still has a skeleton of stone walls, but it is mostly rubble. Hikers go for the dramatic ocean views, raw nature, and birdlife, but for others, it might not be worth the price of admission.
- Address: Tartane, La Trinité, 97220
- Cost: €4
- Location: North of Fort-de-France
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Fort-de-France Savings! Book at Karibea Squash Fr $196+/Nt Expedia
- Special deal: 4-Star La Bateliere Fr $186+/Nt Expedia
- See Fort-de-France & More: 7 Nts Aboard MSC Cruises Fr $769 Expedia
Had another great trip to Cuba. Read more
what are the best beaches to visit in the caribbean? Read more
I'm just starting to look for a place for a 4 to 5 day stay, or maybe a week mid February of next year for our first anniversary. Read more