Kayaking in Martinique
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
It can be great fun to skim the shallow bay while paddling to bird and iguana reserves. Rent colorful fiberglass kayaks to explore the crystalline Havre du Robert, with its clear, shallow pools (called fonds blanc), petite beaches, and islets, such as Iguana Island.
Les Kayaks du Robert. You'll receive one of the island's warmest welcomes at Les Kayaks du Robert. After a memorable paddle through shallow lagoons and mangrove swamps chasing colorful fish, you can enjoy a complimentary glass of juice or planter's punch, all for €8 an hour or €14 per person for a half-day; a full day is €21. A guide is available with advance reservation. If you're going without a guide, ask how to get to various small islets, especially Iguana Island. Masks and fins are available and it's a joy to snorkel in the fonds blancs. Pointe Savane, Le Robert, 97231. 0596/64–33–93.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe