- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Crime in Jamaica is, unfortunately, a persistent problem, so don't let the beauty of the island cause you to abandon the caution you would practice in any unfamiliar place. Many of the headlines are grabbed by murders in Kingston, often gang-related; violent crimes are, for the most part, largely a problem for residents who live in certain areas of the city. Visitors should be extremely cautious about visiting many of the neighborhoods in Kingston that are outside the business district of New Kingston.
Property crime is an island-wide problem. Use your in-room safe and be sure to lock all doors—including balconies—when you leave your room or villa. Never leave your car unlocked, and never leave valuables inside it, even when it is locked. Ignore efforts, however persistent, to sell you drugs, including ganja (marijuana), which is illegal across the island.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe