- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cellular service is available throughout Jamaica. GSM cell phones equipped with tri-band or world-roaming service will find coverage throughout much of the coastal region. Cellular service averages about J$1.50 to J$2 per minute on the island. Rates for local calls start at about 10¢ per minute, and incoming calls are free. Outgoing international calls to the United States start at about 19¢ per minute. Prepaid SIM cards cost about J$500. Providers Digicel and Lime also offer prepaid international calling to the United States and Canada. Cellular-phone rentals are also available starting at about $20 per week.
Most hotels offer direct-dial telephone services with a substantial service charge; local businesses provide fax services for a fee. Pay phones are now hard to find across the island. To dial Jamaica from the United States, just dial 1 + area code 876. Some U.S. phone companies provide only limited credit-card calls from Jamaica because they've been victims of fraud. The best option is to buy Jamaican phone cards, sold in most stores across the island.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's