Hiking in Jamaica
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking in Port Antonio ranges from very easy to extremely difficult, with everything from hour-long strolls along riverbanks to multiday sojourns through thick rain forests. A short hike to Scatter Falls followed by a rafting trip down the Rio Grande is a good choice for those looking for a short hike; the two- to three-hour hike to Nanny Falls near Moore Town is another good option. One of the most difficult hikes is the two-day trip (and three days are generally recommended) to Nanny Town, where Nanny, Jamaica's only female national hero, led the Maroons against the British.
Jamaica Explorations. The guided tours from this company include a Reich Falls excursion and a Blue Mountain hike. Hotel Mocking Bird Hill, Port Antonio. 876/993–7267. www.jamaicaexplorations.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe