- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Banks and Exchange Services
Grenada uses the Eastern Caribbean dollar (EC$). The official exchange rate is fixed at EC$2.67 to US$1; for convenience, taxis, shops, and hotels sometimes use a lower rate (EC$2.50). You can exchange money at banks and hotels, but U.S. paper currency (no coins) and major credit cards are widely accepted.
Current on Grenada is 220 volts/50 cycles. U.S. standard appliances (110 volts) require a transformer and adapter plug. For dual-voltage computers and other devices, you'll still need an adapter plug; some hotels will lend adapters.
English is the official language in Grenada.
Airmail rates for letters to the United States are EC$1 for a half-ounce letter or postcard. When addressing a letter to Grenada, simply write "Grenada, West Indies" after the local address. International courier services (FedEx, DHL, and UPS) are also available at the post office.
To enter Grenada, visitors must produce a valid passport; a return or onward ticket is also required.
The area code is 473. Prepaid phone cards, which can be used in special card phones throughout the Caribbean for local or international calls, are sold in denominations of EC$20 ($7.50), EC$30 ($12), EC$50 ($20), and EC$75 ($28) at shops, attractions, transportation centers, and other convenient outlets. For international calls using a major credit card, dial 111; to place a collect call or use a calling card, dial 800/225-5872 from any telephone.
Taxes and Service Charges
The departure tax of $20 (EC$50) for adults and $10 (EC$25) for children ages 5-11 is incorporated into the price paid for airfare, eliminating the need to pay at the airport when departing the country. Grenada has a 10% V.A.T. (value-added tax) on hotel bills and a 15% V.A.T. on restaurant bills and retail sales. In addition, a 10% service charge is often added to hotel and restaurant bills.
If there is no service charge, then tip 10%; if a service charge has been included, additional tipping is optional. Bellhops, $1 per bag; housekeeping, $1 or $2 per night; taxi drivers and tour guides, 10% of the fare or fee.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102 -- Punta Cana VIK Hotel, All-Incl. Garden View Room CheapCaribbean.com
- $156 -- Luxury Jamaica All-Inclusive Resorts, Save 55% Couples Resorts
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Beach Trip w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore