- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Grenada Restaurant Reviews
Grenada's crops include many kinds of citrus, mangoes, papaya (called paw paw here), callaloo (similar to spinach), dasheen (taro, a root vegetable), christophenes (a gourd also known as mirliton or chayote), yams (white, green, yellow, and orange), and breadfruit. And all restaurants prepare dishes with local produce and season them with the many spices grown here. Be sure to try the local flavors of ice cream: soursop, guava, rum raisin, coconut (the best), or nutmeg.
Soups—especially pumpkin and callaloo—are divine and often start a meal. Pepper pot is a savory stew of pork, oxtail, vegetables, and spices. Oildown, the national dish, is salted meat, breadfruit, onions, carrots, celery, dasheen, and dumplings all boiled in coconut milk until the liquid is absorbed and the savory mixture becomes "oily." A roti—curried chicken, beef, or vegetables wrapped in pastry and baked—is similar to a turnover and more popular in Grenada than a sandwich.
Fresh seafood of all kinds, including lobster, is plentiful. Conch, known here as lambi, often appears curried or in a stew. Crab back, though, is not seafood—it's land crab. Most Grenadian restaurants serve seafood and at least some local dishes.
Rum punches are ubiquitous and always topped with grated nutmeg. Clarke's Court and Westerhall are local rums. Carib, the local beer, is refreshing, light, and quite good. If you prefer a nonalcoholic drink, opt for fruit punch—a delicious mixture of freshly blended tropical fruit.
What to Wear: Dining in Grenada is casual. At dinner, collared shirts and long pants are appropriate for men (even the fanciest restaurants don't require jacket and tie), and sundresses or dress pants are fine for women. Beachwear and other revealing attire should be reserved for the beach.
Browse Grenada Restaurants
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $102 -- Punta Cana VIK Hotel, All-Incl. Garden View Room CheapCaribbean.com
- $156 -- Luxury Jamaica All-Inclusive Resorts, Save 55% Couples Resorts
- $599 & up -- All-Incl. Dominican Republic Beach Trip w/Air CheapCaribbean.com
- $599 -- Celebrity Cruise w/Balcony Cabin & Unlimited Drinks CruCon Cruise Outlet
- Puerto Rico Active IExplore