Departure tax—separate from the $10 tourist card you must purchase on entering the country—is $20 and almost always included in the price of your ticket. The government tax (ITBIS) is a whopping 16% and is added to almost everything—bills at restaurants, hotels, sports activities, rental cars, and items at the supermercados that are not considered basic, including imports. It's not a VAT, as it's paid in addition to the price.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe