Customs and Duties
Customs and Duties
Customs inspections on arrival in the Dominican Republic are usually over quickly and painlessly. All travelers to the Dominican Republic are allowed to bring in one liter of alcohol, 200 cigarettes, and gifts not to exceed $100 in value. If you're carrying prescription medication—particularly controlled substances—be sure that you have a copy of the prescription and are carrying only enough for your personal use. Duties are particularly high for new electronic goods, and you'll be charged import duties if the customs inspector believes you're bringing, say, a new laptop to someone in the Dominican Republic.
If you buy antiques on your trip, carry the sales receipt with you. You can legally buy antique coins, including Spanish pieces of eight that are centuries old, from jewelry stores such as Everett Designs in the Casa de Campo Marina. Just produce your receipt and declare them as you exit the country.
Pets accompanying travelers from the United States must have a health certificate from a U.S. veterinarian signed within 15 days of your arrival. Dogs must have current rabies and parvo vaccinations. Airlines have other specific requirements, which you should inquire about before traveling to the Dominican Republic.
U.S. Customs and Border Protection (www.cbp.gov.)
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $1124 & up -- Club Med Punta Cana, Save 40% Club Med Punta Cana
- $99 & up -- Bahamas 'Atlantis' w/Air Credit, up to 65% Off Atlantis, Paradise Island, Bahamas
- $699 & up -- Caribbean Beach Getaways on Sale, up to 70% Off CheapCaribbean.com
- $1399 & up -- 12-Nt. Caribbean Cruise on New Norwegian Ship Norwegian Breakaway
- $183 & up -- Punta Cana 5-Star Adults All-Inclusive Resort — $183 Excellence Punta Cana